While the mandatory installation cases of the intelligent metering system (iMsys) are defined by the use of Smart Meter Gateways (SMGw), there are sufficient different request where the topic of data and control functions also play an important role. Here the focus of secure data transmission is on, for example, submetering, multi-energy applications (electricity, gas, water, heat) or data concentrators.
In order to support these applications, DZG also offers various PlugIns in addition to the communication modules. All PlugIn versions enable flexible communication adaptation under the terminal cover and can be changed by the meter operator directly at the meter station without changing the meter.
Except for the LMN-PlugIn, meters to be upgraded must be delivered with the auxiliary voltage option. A subsequent upgrade of the meter with this option is generally not possible.
With the LMN-PlugIn DZG’s smart meter (moderne Messeinrichtung) DVS74 is upgraded to an intelligent metering system (iMsys). This communication adapter thus provides a suitable interface for a TLS adapter ("BAB") in accordance with VDE FNN Note for connection to the LMN interface of the Smart Meter Gateway (SMGW) in the meter.
The LMN PlugIn is characterized as follows:
- 2 LMN interfaces for connection to a Smart Meter Gateway or cascading of several intelligent metering systems (iMsys)
- Power supply of the LMN PlugIn via the LMN interface of the Smart Meter Gateway (SMGW)
- Encryption components according to BSI, which meet the special requirements according to §§ 21 and 22 of the Measuring Point Operating Act (MsbG), which can be specified in protection profiles and technical guidelines to guarantee data protection, data security and interoperability.
- Marking of the PlugIn according to MID and indication of the national type-examination certificate
- Declaration of conformity (DE) according to § 11 of the Measuring and Verification Ordinance (MessEV)
Our LW PlugIn is used for wireless communicative local integration of a smart meter (modern Messeinrichtung). It is based on the Long Range Wide Area Network (LoRaWAN) in the European frequency band from 863 MHz to 870 MHz and is suitable for transmissions of up to 10 km range, depending on the design and typological conditions.
The transparent transmission protocol enables the transmission of source- and destination-dependent data formats (e.g. DLMS, wMBus, ModBus).
It is not technically suitable for the transmission of BSI-secured information to a Smart Meter Gateway (SMGw) due to the limited data width or transmission rate.
The following application scenarios are possible:
- Simple peer-to-peer connection (1:1) between the electrical meter and a LoRa-capable target device (e.g. modem)
- Connection of several electronic meters (n:1) and a LoRa-capable target device (e.g. modem)
- Networking in an active LoRa-WAN network (e.g. via an active LoRa-WAN gateway)
The RS485 PlugIn enables wired local networking according to industry standards between measuring instruments or sensors which also have an RS485 interface.
Such devices could be among others:
- Smart meter (moderne Messeinrichtung)
- EDL21 electricity meter
- Electronic RLM meters
- Gas, water and heat meters
- GPRS or Ethernet modems
- Environmental sensors (e.g. smoke detectors)